Friday, February 21, 2014

Positive/Negative Space at Halloween

This post is very late, and I apologize for the horrible resolution and generally fuzziness of the pictures because I took them with my phone.  That being said, it was a fun project to do around Halloween.

I started by teaching the kids about positive and negative space.  And we also talked about symmetry.  Then I demonstrated drawing half of a jack-o-lantern on a black sheet of 9x12 construction paper.  I gave the students their own sheet of construction paper and made sure to emphasize that they needed to have one of the long sides be the center of their jack-o-lantern.  One of the hardest things for some of the kids was not losing the pieces they cut out because the pieces were so small.  The students were able to then glue both "sides" of their jack-o-lantern to a sheet of orange 18x12 construction paper.  I had to help a few of them with the pieces that they cut out so that they were lined up correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment